Monday 17 June 2013

Sunburst Granny Square Picnic

 
 
For my regular blog readers, you will know that a couple of weeks ago I crocheted this sunburst granny square stool cover for our little puss. Well, with Summer here, my next priority was beautifying our picnic basket with the hope that we will have lots of wonderful and sunny days this summer to enjoy picnics (one can but dream!). Having really enjoyed working these little squares I decided these Sunburst Granny Squares by Priscilla Hewitt would made the perfect little jersey for our basket.




Although I had a good idea of what I wanted, I still needed to figure out how I was going to get there, which to be honest was a bit of guesswork here and there. I was set on having the cover go over and under both lids, but I didn't want it to sit up onto the handle of the basket, if this makes any sense. Basically, I wanted it to fit like a glove. For this project I used DROPS Paris Cotton Aran which I purchased from The Wool Warehouse. I definitely misjudged the amount of cotton I was going to require and there were a couple of days waiting for some more (hate it when this happens). As you can see from the pictures, I did eight granny squares and the rest is just granny crochet  around until I got to where I wanted it to be, increasing and decreasing along the way.
 


As most of you will know we celebrated Fathers Day yesterday and I wanted to do something special for my wonderful other half, as I genuinely think that he's simply the Best Dad in the world! We didn't fancy a meal out as that will be happening tomorrow night for another celebration, so I decided a lovely picnic (weather permitting) would be just right. Well it is fair to say that all our angels were watching over us as we had a dry and very pleasant afternoon in the end.


I chose a very lovely spot on our doorstep, one we haven't been to for quite some time, largely because for some very strange, but unknown reason (I blame age here!)  I have forgotten all about it. Does this happen to you too?



 
We had this very beautiful place all to ourselves. These photo's don't do it justice, but the fields were bathed in little pretty smiling buttercups.



It has river running through it and Josh had so much fun pretending he was surfing on a rather surfboard-like rock.



We found the most perfect spot to camp out for the afternoon to enjoy a rather late lunch and an afternoon of chilling.
 



For me picnics are all about lovely sandwiches and freshly baked cakes or brownies and a cup of tea offcourse! I took a little empty jam jar with and filled it with some water from the river and a posy of beautiful buttercups. I love pretty things and there is no reason one can't have these little pleasures when your eating out of a basket!



We also tried out the new Strawberry and Rhubarb jam, which I wrote about here and I think I will be making some more very very soon, delicious!




 
The kids had such fun just wading in the water in their wellies (and boy it was freezing!!!).



 
Little Es, enjoying climbing on to everything and anything, such a little monkey.
 

 
Both Josh and Dad really enjoyed having some quality time playing footie, whilst


 
us girls just enjoyed reading Fantastic Mr Fox. It is one of my all time faves and I so enjoy reading it to the kids. I have stopped counting the number of times we have read this story and I can't see me ever tiring of it.


 
For me these beautiful old trees are so expressive, every curve on their bodies speak of some chapter in life and express their carefully sculptured moods. For some reason they always make me reflect on my own grounding and how we are all part of this earth, belonging to the greater good. There is something so nourishing about the feeling of belonging and being connected to nature.



Hats on for a cup of tea and some very scrummy chocolate brownies. Our household has become quite fond of these wonderful 'Flourless Chocolate Brownies' by Nigella, possibly because they suit all my intolerances, but also because I am yet to taste a better brownie, so if you haven't made these yet, give them a go.
 


 



It was such a wonderfully relaxing afternoon, but all good things have to come to an end.
 
 
Thank you for all your lovely comments on my blog. I wanted you to know that I really appreciate you reading my blog (even when posts are so long!) and for following me, it brings me so much joy. I always try and leave a reply to your comment(s), but I appreciate that most of you most probably never read them. It's just my way of saying that I appreciate each and every one of your comments and so enjoy reading them. Welcome to my new followers, I am so pleased that you are enjoying your little visits here and I am looking forward to seeing lots more of you.


Wishing you all a very happy Monday and wishes for a creative and enjoyable week.
Hannapat
xoxo

23 comments:

  1. how lovely!!...the perfect family day out. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely Alison, it certainly was! xo

      Delete
  2. Hannapat what a glorious post, thank you for sharing this with us. I just love your crochet, the colours are heavenly. One of my pet hates is waiting for extra yarn it really gets me irritated with myself. By the way the lovely Sue was amazed that you and I were in touch. She is now writing her own blog on Facebook after being inspired by yours. She instantly recognised you, hope we get to meet sometime, maybe at Sue's classes. Have a fab Tuesday
    Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy, you are always so kind! I am pleased to hear that Sue is now writing her own blog on Facebook. I am sure she instantly recognised me, I asked so many questions during the five sessions we had together, I am sure she is dreading seeing me again in Sept (haha!) xo

      Delete
  3. Hannahpat you are the English Martha Stewart!
    Love E's little muddy knee :)
    I LOVE your kind comments!
    Bloglovin is a pain as every time I leave a comment it crashes my iPad! Grrrrr!
    Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No my dear, quite far from, but thank you all the same :-) xo

      Delete
  4. Hi Hannapat, you are very good at setting out a nice spot! Buttercups and all! looks like you enjoyed a lovely family day, and i do like your basket cover, very clever! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Heather, I don't think I will ever tire of beautiful Buttercups xo

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous picnic! I LOVE what you've done to the basket. It looks beautiful. I must say I love your curls as well. I do wish I enjoyed cooking like you do, for me it's a complete chore & I take as many short cuts as possible. I have so many other things I'd rather be spending my energy on! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I wish I was as good as you at finding the best vintage outfits out there! xo

      Delete
  6. What an absolutely perfect picnic! I love your basket cover, and the whole spread looks totally indulgent and delicious and fun - just what a picnic should be!!! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissie for your lovely comments, yes for me picnics are one of the many little joys in life that are so simple, yet so enjoyable. xo

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful picnic, it all looks so lovely. I am quite in love with your picnic basket and your jam looks so delicious.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely and kind comments xo

      Delete
  8. I need one right now, no really, I NEED one....this instant!!! It's fab, I'm just indulging in a bit of crochet, in fact I'm meeting up with friend later.....so crocheting all evening! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! I will make you one my dear if you are that set on it! Send me the measurements and enjoy the crochet sesh! xo

      Delete
  9. Ek hoop jy kry hierdie antwoord. Ek doen duidelik iets groots verkeerd dat jy nie my antwoorde kry nie. Jou blogs is so amazing en jy het al so baie ' followers'. Ek weet nie waar jy die energie en tyd kry vir alles wat jy doen nie. Al jou ongelooflike bakwerk en dan nog die blog en jou hekelwerk saam met kinders en huiswerk ens. n gewone ma met twee kinders sonder ME kan nie doen wat jy alles gedoen kry nie.
    Ek is mal oor jou kleure van jou wol. If you've got it, you've got it. En my mond het gewater toe jou brownies sien. Ek weet hoe heeerlik dit is. Ek hoop jou dag gister was lekker! Jy verdien om bederf te word. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uiteindelik, yay!!! Ek is so bly om Ma weer hier te sien en baie dankie vir ma se boodskap. Ja die brownies is altyd so goed, maar dit is ook die rede hoekom ek nooit maar gaan wees nie. Lief ma xoxo

      Delete
  10. Wow, that is the picnic to end all picnics. How beautiful it all looks and what a lovely day you made of it. I think it was a lovely touch to bring that jam jar and have fresh flowers. I totally agree that things are better when they look nice. You are a woman after my own heart. I have tried a few Nigella recipes and they always turn out well, bless her. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely Freckleface (just love this name of your blog!). Yes there is definitely something to be said for being into all this fluffing, but good to hear we share this little obsession xoxo

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your diet sounds very similar to mine. I cannot tolerate dairy, tree nuts or sugar. I would love to make the brownies but the measurements are not familiar to me. I live in the US. Do you know how I could convert them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgina. Thank you for stopping by. These brownies I wrote about here are definitely not short of sugar, in fact they are loaded with it and also have some walnuts in them. I will hopefully be experimenting with some raw ones this week so will post about it later this week. I take your measurements are in cups, right?? I will write it up in cups and grams so everyone can benefit. Hope this helps you. The cheesecake I wrote about in my recent post is really delicious as is the cake I wrote about the week before and they are both in cups and are sugar free. Hope you have a lovely week xoxo

      Delete