Friday 7 June 2013

Soapsuds and a tub of Ice Cream...

This week I have been working on getting my soaps ready for a friend of mine to take to the Bakewell Baking Festival happening this Saturday and Sunday. I have become quite fond of this little soap making hobby of mine. I think it is the mixing and experimenting that I love the most, such fun.



Smell is one of my strongest senses and I often relive moments in life through smell. I find it interesting that quite a lot of my memories in life are associated to smells. The smallest whiff can transport me back in time in a matter of seconds. It is such a great gift and brings me great joy throughout lifer. Whether it is the change of seasons, moments after the lawn has been mowed, or simply some warning for me to avoid some food, it is my constant and always there to inform me of the present and remind me of the past. I  rely on this first sense of mine so much and am always grateful that I have the gift to smell. I'm always intrigued what other people's experiences here. I have friends who remember by foods and taste, other by sound, and then quite a few by smell. What triggers your memory the most?



I have made several different soaps for the festival, including lavender, ginger and orange, orange and geranium, English rose (another fave), lavender and geranium. I normally give these as pressies for my friends, but this lovely friend of mine who runs a business called Fizzy Vintage offered to sell them for me. You should have a look at her website, she sells the most amazing vintage china and does quite a few markets and fairs around our area, she also sells on eBay, so do have a nosey. So here are some of the soaps I made. Those not on plates got wrapped in some very lovely vintage wallpaper that I purchased from the lovely Ada's (Vintage Sheet Addict) etsy shop. She has the most amazing paper and the soaps looked really gorgeous wrapped in these.





 
This time my favourite soaps were the chamomile and grapefruit, and the ginger and orange. Ginger is an all time fave of mine especially in the Summer, but for some reason the grapefruit and chamomile just turned out heavenly and I am looking forward to making more of these.


At the moment I simply can't get enough of this very gorgeous weather and what better way to enjoy it that than with some homemade Ice Cream. We decided to give Nigella's 'No Churn Pomegranate Ice Cream' a whirl and I believe it was pretty yum (can't personally vouch for this thanks to my allergies, boohoo!).

 




This is so easy to make, all you need are two Pomegranates, some double cream, lime and icing sugar and it is as simple as that. You can find the recipe here.

So that's me whipped up and ready for some more of this glorious weather and hopefully we will be feeling some sand between our toes tomorrow!

Hope you all have a wonderful and relaxing weekend.
Warm wishes
Hannapat xoxo

12 comments:

  1. I'd love to have a go a making soap, is it expensive to try? I bet the soaps looked great wrapped in the wallpaper! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! No its not really that expensive and yes it looks FAB FAB FAB in your lovely wallpaper xoxo

      Delete
  2. you have made some really delicious sounding things. How lovely to have this soap making skill! I would like to try sometime. maybe you could talk us through it! Thanks for the lovely comments over on my blog too, Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Heather, now there's a thought. One day when I have bags of time, I promise to do a tutorial on this xo

      Delete
  3. You soaps look wonderful and I am sure they smell wonderful!! Thanks for sharing the sweet recipe!! And, I spy a pretty vintage green canister!! Too lovely!! Happy weekend to you Hannapat!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome lovely Heather, as for the green 'canister' I love! xo

      Delete
  4. the soap and the ice cream look amazing! not sure which one looks better! I have always wanted to make soap, but still haven't tried it. thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe not together :-). It is such fun, you should give it a whirl xo

      Delete
  5. I love the way you package your gorgeous soaps on pretty vintage china.
    Ginger and orange. Mmmmmm, I can smell it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie, so many uses for these lovely old plates. I love them too xo

      Delete
  6. Your soaps look so pretty. Yes, I agree, smell is a very powerful sense and can transport me straight back to certain moment which such clarity and vividness. The ice cream looks very good. I don't have an ice cream maker so am always on the look out for good no-churn recipes. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well here goes then my dear Gillian, enjoy! xo

      Delete