Tuesday 6 August 2013

Crochet potholder and sweet memories

Today I just quickly wanted to share a couple of things that has put a smile on my dial over the last couple of weeks. I personally love logging these little memories as I know in years to come I can smile again as I look back on them.


 

Some rather lovely parcels all the way from Australia. The first was my little prize I won in Mezz's lovely giveaway. They are two super cute magnets that she made herself and they look great on our fridge, so thank you Mezz! The second parcel really warmed my heart and was from the very lovely Leisa at Vintage Bird Girl, whom I have grown rather fond off over the last couple of months. She is such a darling and sent me this lovely thank you card and this very gorgeous hankie. It couldn't have come to a better home as I love hankies and use them every day.



A pic of little Es on her last day at preschool, and the only one where she isn't picking her nose (:-)). A shame I can't show the one of J as he has too many other kids around him.



 
Now on to some crochet. I saw this rather lovely looking mandala pattern in this month's Simply Crochet magazine and I just had to make it. It was a fun little project to work whilst getting hooked on the BBC's series Silent Witness. They have just finished showing the 16th series, yes I know we are centuries behind the rest of the world, but that's pretty normal for us. This now means that we have some serious catching up to do with 15 series' to get through, so I can see a request for a couple of these box sets going on a Christmas list this year. Are any of you watching this and have you been following it all the way? What do you make of the earlier series'? What other series are you in to? It's always good to get some suggestions on what to watch.
 
For this project I used Paris Drops Cotton and once I got in the swing of things it was pretty straight forward and it looks rather lovely on our island in the kitchen. The first picture is before blocking it and the second after. It makes such a difference. Something I am still to do for this potholder below.
 
 






I have been wanting to make this potholder for so long as I have been crocheting, so for around two years, time flies when you're having fun! You can find the pattern on Ravelry for free and I used Aunt Lydia's No.3 Crochet Cotton in Scarlet, Pine Green and Natural, all bought from Rainbow Silks. I played around with the colour for the back as the pattern is for a plain natural back and I quite like a little red mixed in. I really enjoyed working with this crochet cotton it was much softer than some of the other mercerised crochet cottons that I have worked with in the past. It won't be long before I purchase a little more of this as I am already planning the next potholder project.


 
I found this lovely macrame plant hanger in the charity shop for £1. I love these and always try and buy them when I can get my hands on them. They always remind me of my childhood and I wouldn't mind giving it a go one day. Have any of you had a go at making one of these? In the meantime I have also been inspired by Dottie Angel's 'peachy-plant-pocket-handy-hangers', which is such a spiffy take on it.
  
  
Hope you are all keeping well wherever you are. This week feels like it's on fast forward. I have a few more posts coming your way, so will be back soon.
 
Warm wishes
Hannapat
xoxo

20 comments:

  1. Hey Hannapat,

    I love Silent Witness and have watched it from the beginning. I enjoy all those kind of programmes, obsessed as I am with psychology and all things grisly! I loved the macrame pot holder. I remember these from from Infant school days in the 70's. They always had a rather sad looking spider plant in them.
    I do hope you are feeling better very soon. I have a friend with ME, and it is a very debilitating illness. Chin up buttercup.
    With love,

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely, fortunately my chin is normally up, which does help a great deal I have to say. Pleased to hear that it was good enough to watch all the way through. Roll on a few pennies for some box sets xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi Hannapat - I've just sent you a message on mine and here I am again - always lovely to talk with you!
    What lovely thoughtful, and obviously well appreciated, gifts! And your little Es is so gorgeous I could run away with her. Isn't it funny how they pick their noses, and always at the most inopportune times!
    I love your crochet work - gosh blocking really does make a huge difference doesn't it; there have been times when I've been tempted to give it a miss but one really needs to do it!
    I don't know what series of Silent Witness has been showing here recently but they've changed the cast and it's just not the same, so Jeff and I 'took the hick' and don't watch it any more! We used to love it!
    I tried a bit of macrame years and years ago when it was popular - oh gosh am I showing signs of age - and enjoyed it at the time, but recently my younger daughter (seeing me branch out into all kinds of craft lately) expressed very strongly that she hoped I wouldn't be doing macrame again!!!
    She obviously didn't like it!
    I was saddened to read that it was ME that you've been battling with dear Hannipat - it's been a very badly misunderstood affliction for much
    too long and I do hope you continue to make good progress - pacing oneself can be a huge challenge but having understanding family and friends can make a huge difference to one's wellbeing whilst going through such a dreadful illness. I wish you wellness!
    Happy week to you!
    Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy for you lovely message here and on your blog, you are so lovely! I am pleased to hear you have a little insight into the illness and thank you so much for your kind words. I think we might be asking for a macramé tutorial soon! :-) xoxo

      Delete
  3. I love your doily, I think I will have to have a go at one soon. In our house we enjoy Death in Paradise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stronbow, I am sure you will really enjoy making the doily. Thanks for the recommendation, off to go and have a little look xoxo

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous crotchet project!
    Also those magnets are lovely.
    I seriously have no idea how you manage to do it all..... Look forward to seeing the next crafty delight xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I just love those magnets too! xo

      Delete
  5. so glad u liked my little parcel!ur crochet is amazing, and well done on the macreme pot holder find! i love silent witness too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mezz, yes love my magnets they are soo cute, thank you lovely! xo

      Delete
  6. Oh dear Hannapat you are so so talented, I wish I could crochet as well as you do - I feel that I am neglecting my crochet to the detriment of sewing so will have to return to it after reading your wonderful post. Hannapat it sounds so strange as I think we are all clones - I collect hankies, have done for years and was only sorting through mine the other day - I will pick out a nice one for you - just need to sort out how to get personal details etc, not sure how you do this Hannapat - could you explain? I adore the crochet and all your finds - wish we were all in our big summerhouse now chatting and exchanging giveaways........happy days. Have a really special day today, lots of love as always
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Dorothy, you are far toooo kind my dear, but thank you very much!! I know exactly what you mean and to be honest I have been neglecting my crochet too as I have been spending a great deal more time sewing too. At least you have some very lovely stuff to show for it!! Oh yes that summerhouse, I am dreaming about it every day! Much love to you xoxo

      Delete
  7. Hi Hannapat! Love your beautiful rose pot holder and dolly!! They are both so pretty!! Darling photo of your little one!! Wishing you a sweet and crafty week!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely Heather for your sweet comments I really appreciate them! xoxo

      Delete
  8. Hi, I'm really loving the potholders. I too have been meaning make some for ages now. Must start soon.
    I used to watch silent witness too but didn't take to it after the cast change. Other series that I love is Rebus and Waking The Dead.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helloo lovely Rosie, I have heard this more than once now, so when does the cast change?? I have heard about walking the dead, but not of Rebus, so off to have a little look. Thanks for the recommendation! Much love to you xoxo

      Delete
  9. Hello Hannapat... well funnily enough I bought a massive and very very heavy vintage craft book from the charity shop yesterday and it has sections on crochet and patchwork. I also wanted to read about inserting zips and also to read up on macramé! I have wanted to do macramé since I saw the macramé owls in the Norwegian charity shop. I didn't want to buy the owls there as they were beige and i'm not beige and they would also have cost about £25 each. I think macramé could well be the new crochet!! I'll have to blog about the book as it is good, but I can't imagine it being on ebay as it weighs a ton. Even my ironman hubby didn't want to lug it around town. The potholders are super!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think we need a blog post about it soon my dear. You never know what you can find on amazon or ebay and then maybe we could have a go at it together, well at the same time, you know what I mean. No hubby needs to be told that its good for his training, that's what I tell mine anyway :-) xoxo

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad the card got to you okay. Your crochet creations are just beautiful....I love the colours & the wonderful patterns you make. I could just see your wares in a sweet little shop! Yes it was rather funny that we posted our parcels on the same day! I'm feel so blessed to have my own little piece of Cosmos & Cotton! Much Love to you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great little pressie there, well done! I love these, my skills aren't there yet but I can't wait to try one...or two....or three! Love that the kids are baking all by themselves! :) x

    ReplyDelete