Wednesday 26 June 2013

Granny circular stool cover

Thank you all your very lovely birthday wishes last week, it touched my heart.


Now onto ye olde granny, and what a little companion this is becoming. My lovely children gave me this very wonderful book 'Granny Squares, 20 crochet projects with a vintage vibe' as an early birthday present. The  book is filled with wonderful projects and there are at least a dozen I am bursting to get working on, but my first choice, these lovely 'Circular Stool Covers'.

 
 
 
There are two versions for you to chose from and for this project I chose version two. I really enjoyed working these little granny square mandala's. Now some of you might have a good insight into  the meaning of the word Mandala, I know I didn't know anything about it until I came across it during my years of exploring religions and especially Meditation.
 
The word Mandala comes from the Sanskrit Mandala, which means 'circle', it also represents the universe. Some also believe that it is a symbol of the dreamers search for completeness in a dream. What I like about Mandala's is their visual appearance and how it has the power to absorb the mind and to stop all the chattering that is forever going on. It brings me to a state of awareness and consciousness, and I suppose there is a rather hypnotic feel to working these circles. In our busy lives it is so hard to find time to just be with the here and the now and to get rid of all the thoughts that is forever consuming our minds and actions and that is why I am such a great believer in the power of meditation as it gives us a platform to just be here and now but in a quiet place and space to address the underlying issues, happy or sad, that might never really be heard in our busy days. I have to add here that meditation doesn't just have to occur in these quiet places, but can be done anywhere and at any point in the day no matter where you are.
 
Another aspect that I really enjoyed when working these Mandala's was the knowledge that it represents giving everything to the universe, in order to receive teaching and or empowerment in return. Now although this goes far deeper than that in the spiritual sense of the word, I did feel quite empowered by ye old granny and most definitely found that I had regained respect for the teachings from this simple yet beautiful stitch.
 
 
First there was one and then
 
 
 
there were two.



For this project I used King Cole Bamboo cotton, which I had never worked with before. It is 50% Bamboo Viscose and 50% Cotton and it is simply wonderful to work with. I purchase it here and still have enough left for another project. I love everything about this yarn, it is soft, it doesn't split like 100% cotton normally does in my experience (which I have to add is limited!) and it is washable, always essential in a house with small and messy fingers around.
 
 



I altered the pattern a little as I didn't think the decreasing in the last couple of rounds were going to be enough to keep the cover firmly in place on my stools and I am delighted with the end result. They fit nice and snug, in fact at first I didn't think I was going to get it on, but its on it has survived the wriggly bottom test by small bottoms constantly jumping on and off it.


What better way to enjoy them than with some gluten and dairy free home made scones with rhubarb and strawberry jam and a pot of fresh mint tea...

 

and some glimmer of sun streaming through the kitchen window.


Wimbledon has started, yay!! and I know the next two weeks will pretty much revolve around tennis as much as possible. I am seriously going to have to learn to crochet and watch tennis (as it has proved rather difficult the last two days!). Wishing you all a very lovely Wednesday and an enjoyable week.

Warm Wishes
Hannapat
xoxo

27 comments:

  1. I just ADORE those stools, really beautiful Granny Chic and home made, it doesn't get better than that does it xx
    I also loved the explanation of the mandala,we all walk hand in hand with our inner selves but don't always see it xx.
    Thank you for your lovely comment, I did have a lovely day and chatted far more than stitched ha ha , I wore poor Jessies ears out xx
    Hugs Lynn xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Lynn, pleased to hear you had a great day! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hello Hannapat - what a lovely job you've done here with your stool covers, and I do like your choice of colours! I also enjoyed your little chat about Mandalas and meditation - very well explained. Your new book looks very interesting - I'll be looking out for this one, thank you!
    I hope your week is going well, all the very best!
    Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy, yes do look out for it, it certainly is a book worth having. Lovely week to you too xo

      Delete
  3. Oh Hannapat they are beautiful, I think I need that book too! What a brilliant job you've made of them, hope I can be as good one day! We must swap dairy free tips, I'm on a similar diet, great for the immune system! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes great book, I am sure you will love! Yes excluding dairy is certainly a good step towards improving immunity and all up for swapping some tips :-) xoxo

      Delete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous, so pretty. I love the idea of Mandalas :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stool covers are so cool! I wish I knew how to crochet. Happy belated Birthday wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, you should give it a go, its really easy and great fun (I have to add very very addictive too!) xo

      Delete
  6. Hannapat what gorgeous covers, I just love them. You really are so talented which is why I love reading your blog. I love the colours they are so subtle, just wonderful. You have a wonderful weekend Hannapat and thanks as always for a fabulous post.
    Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thanks Dorothy, you are always so kind with your very lovely comments. You certainly know how to make me feel great, thanks! xoxo

      Delete
  7. I have that same book, and the stool cover is top of the list, for the very reasons you discussed - I am so keen to try the "moving meditation" of the mandala. It is so nice to see you've done two! Thanks for the yarn suggestion as well...Chrissie x PS I love that you've made those scones - I wrote about them in reply to your last comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey lovely, yes read the comment and I am so looking forward to trying this, I have ordered the peaches!! As for moving meditation, it is such a great way to meditate. Enjoy making these when you get around to it! xoxo

      Delete
  8. Ohhhh these are lovely! The colours are pefect (I love how the red matches your radio :) ) I'm off to have a better look at that lovely book now! Have a great day xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elisabeth, yes there is always a little space for red in a kitchen and I had to get that match in there. Enjoy the book xoxo

      Delete
  9. These are just so gorgeous! I adore the colours you have chosen they are perfect! Well done, you should be very very pleased with these! Thanks for the little review of this book, it looks gorgeous and I think I foresee a little online crafty book shopping being carried out chez Ladybird!
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne, yes go on enjoy this splurge, you wont regret it! Thanks for your lovely comments! xoxo

      Delete
  10. Wowed HP. You kill me with your crafty-ness. How do you do it?! Gorgeous idea!
    Yes Wimbledon...I work near there so the traffic drives me nuts! But it's also nice to be a part of it all too!
    What are you making next?! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helloo KRM (loving the HP!). Thanks for your kind words my dear. Enjoy the mayhem of Wimbledon, if that is possible! xoxo

      Delete
  11. Those stools look amazing! So cosy. You're right it is very difficult to knit/crochet and watch TV at the same time. Good luck in your efforts to conquer that skill.
    I was interested in your meditation piece. I find it so easy to do when I am at yoga and listening the the teacher's voice, but when I'm at home, it's more difficult. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks freckleface, so far not having much joy with the old tennis hooking, definitely no calls for new yarn, that's for sure! Yes its so much easier being in a yoga or meditation class than attempting it all at home! xoxo

      Delete
  12. They are just gorgeous. I really, really like the colour palate you chose. It's not overwhelming but subtle and elegant and lets the pattern shine through. Gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely Gillian for your lovely comments xoxo

      Delete
  13. These stool covers are brilliant! Your colour choice is what really makes them glow. Perfect colour blend. Where does all this creativity come from? Divine intervention? You shine! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites! สารเคมีในโรงงานอุตสาหกรรม

    ReplyDelete
  15. A mattress should provide a lot of comfort and support the body. When speaking of comfort, the padding on the bedding is what is important. pillows online india

    ReplyDelete