Wednesday 5 June 2013

Crochet Suburst Granny Squares step cover

I have so enjoyed working these little Sunburst Granny Squares, they are fun and easy to do. I have been looking at covers for our little Ikea step and couldn't really find anything I liked on Pinterest,  but then I saw these granny squares on Ravelry, I new just what I wanted to do with them.


My process working these Sunburst Granny Squares by Priscilla Hewitt started with this..
 
 
 
moved on to this..
 
 
 
then once I made the six squares the rest was pretty much guess work. I wanted the cover to go all the way around and under the top so it sits firmly around the four corners without slipping off and fortunately it has worked, and it fits like a glove.




I have to take a moment here to tell you what this lovely little step is used for. In years gone by it was used for small feet so they could reach the kitchen counters and help with the cooking and baking and washing up (yes we start early here! :-)). Now that we have a little island in our kitchen, life seems a great deal easier as they can sit up there and join in with the baking and cooking. We are definitely foodie people in this house and I love the fact that our kitchen is the hub of our home. So back to the step, well since the island came into force the poor little step got deranked, so to speak, and is now used for the lovely Sinbad (our cat), so that HRH (His Royal Highness) can get to his food, yes he refuses to jump up on to the counter, but can jump over a six foot fence, go figure. I suppose there is a certain level of delicate preparation required before eating ones supper, not wanting to upset the old digestive tract and all that, and for this little chap it is the red, um more like grey carpet. It did make me giggle when my doh (darling other half) asked me what I was working on and the expression on his face when I told him that I was actually making a cover for the cat's stool, I mean where are my priorities?! In my opinion we all need a little TLC and this time the coin fell in favour of our kitty soft paws, aka HRH.



Anyway, I am digressing. So as we had just painted the kids playhouse, photo's to follow on a post soon, we had some pink paint left and as I am fairly comfortable in my frugal zone, I couldn't see it go to waist sitting in our shed growing layers, thanks to our very inconsistent weather and cold winters, and then being thrown in the tip next year, so I put it to good use and painted HRH's step pink. OK, it most probably wouldn't have been his colour of choice, but then again there are certain compromises one has to make as a cat, colour being one of them. I mean they can't see all colours right?



I love the new pink stool, it is definitely a change from all my usual grey furniture, but I like it and a change is good for the soul! Speaking of colour, it was largely the more extensive colour range of DROPS Paris Cotton Aran that made me use this instead of Rico, which is a shame as I think my fave might be Rico, but as I still have heaps of the Paris left my dearies, there's is every chance that this little opinion of mine might change as I have been known to be a rather fickle at time..s
 
 
 
 

I have already started the next project with these lovely squares and look forward to sharing this with you soon.
 


Wishing you a very creative week.
Warm wishes
Hannapat xoxo

25 comments:

  1. I neeeeeed one, I neeeed one, I neeeed one! Wow it's super, well done you clever lady! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks absolutly gorgeous, lucky old puss x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever clever clever you! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hannapat what a lovely post, I adore the colours you have chosen they are so vintage and so lovely to look at. You have made something which was ready to be discarded into a thing of real beauty.
    Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy, I am pleased you like it! xo

      Delete
  5. love the colours u used...the little stool looks lovely...fab idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just so lovely! I love what you have done with it and the colours are just perfect!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your colours - it's just beautiful. you are so clever.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thanks. Lovely to see you over here again.

      Delete
  8. I am so glad I popped over to find your blog! The squares are absolutely beautiful, in all my favourite colours! I've been itchin' to start a granny square project, and this design and those colours would make a stunning blanket... Can't wait to see what else you're making! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrissie, thanks for popping over and for your lovely comment. Yes I couldn't agree more I think that all the time xo

      Delete
  9. Lucky cat! The stool is very nice - the pink paint and the colour tones in the crochet compliment each other so well. I have that exact same stool and it's covered in splashes of paint. I've been meaning to give it some love for a while with a fresh lick of paint but it hadn't occurred to me to crochet a cover too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right! It makes such a difference to the stool, I love these simple things from Ikea I have to say xo

      Delete
  10. Well of course her highness requires a beautiful soft cover for the paws :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a pretty little stool.....and your crochet cover is delightful.....I love the colours! Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, so pretty and love that pink stool!! And, I am lovin' that cute grey cabinet behind it, too!! ;) xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. What gorgeous gentle colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie, I love these soft tones xo

      Delete